Checkouts, Renewals & Fines
Checkout Loan Periods
There is no item limit on your library card except for 5 DVDs at one time. There is a checkout period of 28 days for most items. Some special items like hotspots have shorter loan periods. All borrowing privileges are suspended when fines exceed $10.
Most items may be renewed for another 28 day days if the item is not on hold for another patron. You may renew your items in person, on the phone to library staff, or over the Internet from home or at the library. There is a 3-time limit on renewals. You can renew you items three ways:
- In person - You can talk to any staff member at any of our branches to renew your items.
- Call Us - You can call 406-447-1690, ext. 6 any time during the above hours and talk to someone at our circulation desk to renew your items. Please remember we do not renew items by voicemail.
- Online - To renew online you need to log into your account. You can do so by clicking on the My Account/Renew button on the top of the page or by clicking here.
After you log into your account using the link above, on the left side, click on the link for Current Loans. This will display the items you currently have checked out. If a renewal is possible, there will be a button next the item that says renew. Click on this to renew it. You can also click on the Renew All Buttons button on the top.
- Warning: There is no grace period on fines. If you have an email address on your account, we will send out a courtesy notice before items are due, but you should not depend on this.
- All items, including interlibrary loans, cost 20 cents per day with a maximum of $5 per item.
- Once your account reaches $10 in fines, your account will be suspended.
- There is a processing fee of $5 for lost or damaged materials.
- Once an item has been overdue for more than 42 days, your account may be turned over to a collection agency, and your account will be charged a $10 collection fee.